National Date Nut Bread Day
Five Food Finds about Nuts
- Nuts are defined as a simple, dry fruit with one seed (very occasionally two) in which the seed case wall becomes very hard at maturity.
- True nuts include pecan, sweet chestnut, beech, acorns, hazel, hornbeam and alder.
- Peanuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, horse chestnuts and pine nuts are not nuts. So the health warning on a packet of peanuts (“may contain nuts”) is, strictly speaking, untrue.
- Peanuts are actually a type of legume.
- Most forms of nuts will preserve for several years. Signs they are going bad are obvious.
Today’s Food History
1884 John Simpson Chisum died. An American cattle rancher, in 1867 he blazed the Chisum Trail from Paris, Texas to New Mexico. He developed the largest cattle herd in the United States.
1885 La Marcus Thompson of Coney Island, New York was issued a second patent for a gravity…
View original post 127 more words